With large amounts of rain, the toad population in Florida swells. In this area we have one toad known as the Bufo toad that can be toxic to your pets. Bufo marinus, also known as the Marine Toad or Cane Toad, secrete a toxin from glands at the back of its head. This can cause irritation if handled and if ingested by your dog or cat, it can be deadly.


  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the face
  • Convulsions
  • Red gums


What can you do if you think your dog or cat has been exposed? Rinse out their mouths immediately with a hose (make sure to keep their head pointed downward) and bring them to your veterinarian. Without treatment,this can be fatal, so it’s important to get treatment as soon as possible.